We welcome school classes and other groups.
To learn more or to book a visit, please contact the museum by phone or by email.
Recent groups of visitors include:
- Limestone District School Board Students
- Algonquin and Lakeshore Catholic School Board Students
- Various Private Schools (French and English) Students
- St. Lawrence College (ESL) Students
- KEYS LINC (ESL) Students
- Queen's Faculty of Education Students
- Children's Summer Camps
- Residents of Retirement Homes and Long-term care Homes
- Walking Groups
- Art Groups
- Seniors' Groups
What to expect when your group visits the museum:
Upon arrival, visitors and students are brought into our classroom to experience a 40 minute 'in-character' lesson with a schoolmistress or a schoolmaster. We provide pinafores and vests for students to wear if they wish. Once the lesson is complete, students will be 'dismissed' into the gallery where the extended programming occurs.
Extended Program Options:
Straight Pen Writing
Pick Up Sticks
Drop the Hankie
Kick the Can
A to Z Worksheet
What Am I Worksheet
Guess The Artefact Station
Still Life Drawing
"Tea Time"- Afternoon Tea for older groups (must be pre-arranged)
- Then and Now
- School Events (Empire Day, School Fairs, Remembrance Day, Christmas Concert) Discussions
- A brief prep for students to let them know what to expect
- Letter to the School Marm
- A-Z Artefact Class Book
- Then and Now
Beyond Classrooms Kingston is a program that moves teachers and their classrooms into community museums, art galleries and community sites for an entire week. The site becomes an extension of the teacher's classroom where he or she can bring students to enhance their learning skills in critical thinking and problem solving while focusing on a subject or theme.
The Frontenac County Schools Museum will continue to host classes with their teachers in the 2017-2018 school year.
More information is available at the Beyond Classrooms website.
Read about the November 2016 Beyond Classrooms program at the museum in this article in The Kingston Whig Standard.